The first step in establishing the third university of Iran was taken by upgrading the college of Health to the Faculty of Medicine in 1328 (1949).
The Faculty of Literature with 5 different fields was established in 1334 (1954). With the expansion of higher education the following faculties were also established followingly : Faculty of Theology, Faculty of Science, Faculty of Dentistry, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nutrition, Faculty of Education and Psychology, Faculty of Agriculture, Faculty of Engineering, the Institute of Optometry, the university’s high school and the Teaching Center. Mashhad University of that time was renamed Ferdowsi University in 1353 (1974).
The need to expand the higher education system in Iran led to a change in and split of some institutions in 1979. Mashhad University of Medical Sciences separated from Ferdowsi University. Succeeding faculties and centers which were established were Faculty of Administration and Economics, Faculty of Veterinary Sciences, Shirvan Agricultural College, Faculty of Physical Education and Sports, Faculty of Mathematical Sciences, Neishaboor Faculty of the Arts, Institute of Plantation Science, The Seismology Research Center, the University’s College, Faculty of Natural Resources and Environment, Faculty of Architecture and Urban Planning ..